Thursday, July 28, 2016

Amber Smoke (The Escaped #1) - Kristin Cast

ARC received in exchange for honest review.


I remember Kristen Cast from the days of House of Night (set, like The Escaped, in my home state) and co-writing with her mother. Amber Smoke exceeded my expectations, which were high, mind you, due to my knowledge of her ability. This first novel of the series fully showcases her talent as a strong, independent writer and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. The twist on Greek mythology was refreshing and the modernity - intriguing. I'm impressed by the plot and the characters, which were complex and surprising at times. I fully expected Bridget to be a shallow character, but she actually has depth and is one of my favorites in the story, so I hope she stays in the series.

I love that there is a major mission for one of the main characters, yet several other subplots going on around that. Keeps it super interesting, while we discover whether or not Alek will be strong enough to save Tartarus. And that's another thing I loved....it's partially set in Tartarus instead of Olympus or something. It was different to read more about the underworld and how it's not all bad creatures there...

I really enjoyed this book and will be continuing on with the series. Would recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment