Monday, July 18, 2016

Bury the Living - Jodi McIsaac

ARC provided in exchange for honest review.


I absolutely DEVOURED this book! It was an amazing read - so gripping I actually couldn't put it down until I was basically falling asleep.. McIsaac made Nora and the rest of the characters in the story come alive for me - I was cheering her on like I would any real person. I felt like I was right alongside her at times. She really makes you love the characters she brings to life for the novel. I was especially into it because it's one of my favorite topics - Irish history. I find the history so rich and interesting, the fairytale aspect is so enchanting, and for her to combine both the way she did was so appropriate for the time period in which it was set - like adding magic to the real world. Then to make one of the characters an actual person taken from a fairytale? Unreal..

It was in the same realm as Outlander and Exit Unicorns - being a historical fiction - and a good way to fill the gap between those. While I feel it should have been longer and more in depth, that's probably me being selfish because it didn't last nearly as long as I wanted it too. I wísh there had been more detail, though, because more of the history could have used explanation - especially for those who know nothing about the time period. I got really into it, but felt it moved along too fast in some instances. I truly cannot wait for the second installation of this series. I believe it could be as good as the other series I mentioned above. I truly hope the next one is longer and more detailed! She's an amazing author and this is going to be a classic series some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment