Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Who We Were Before - Leah Mercer

This was such a sad book and really frustrating, as well.

Two years after their son dies in a tragic accident, Zoe's parents gift the couple a weekend in Paris in the hopes that they will find each other again. From the beginning, it all goes wrong and we are taken on a journey over two days in which both Zoe and her husband, Edward, reflect on the past and their current situation.

It's actually a pretty good story, but I hated the open ending! I still want to know what happens to the couple....I ended up falling in love with Zoe's character because she's so flawed and it's mostly due to her guilt and grief. She's stronger than she gave herself credit for and is slowly figuring it all out. She wouldn't be a good mother if she didn't blame herself.

They were so good together, Zoe + Edward, before it all went so wrong. He never understood what she was going through because he didn't let himself go there. He's also got a bit of an anger issue, I think. It's also a bit of guilt on his own part, though. He may be angry at her for shutting down, but it looks like he blames himself for a lot of it.

The hardest part of the whole thing was seeing exactly what's going wrong and how badly they misunderstand each other and not being able to knock their heads together. Like James said, "it's just a book." Well, I understand that, but I let myself get so invested in the story and I simply want them to be happy! I'd love to hear what you think! Get it on Kindle First or preorder it.

No comments:

Post a Comment